- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans: West Virginia - Building a Statewide Plan for Physical Activity Lifestyles. A Case Study.
Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO)
- Supporting and Sustaining the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans: The Role of State and Territorial Health Agencies (subsection - ActiveWV: Promising State Practices for Increasing Physical Activity. For the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) WV Case Study
- Elliott, E., and Neal, W. ActiveWV: A Model for Developing a Statewide Physical Ativity Plan. 7th Annual Southern Obesity Summit, Nashville, TN. November 17-19, 2013
- ASTHO - How State Public Health Can Sustain and Support PA Guidelines Webinar
- Elliott, E., Pate, R., Bulger, S., Epping, J. The National Physical Activity Plan: Implementation at the State Level. American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) National Convention and Exposition, Charlotte, NC. April 2013
- Elliott, E., Bulger, S., Jones, E., & Neal, W. The development of a statewide physical activity plan in the US. The 4th International Congress on Physical Activity Public Health (ICPAPH): beActive 2012. Sydney, Australia. October 31 - November 3, 2012.
- Elliott, E., Jones, E., Bulger, S. ActiveWV: A Systematic Approach to Developing a Physical Activity Plan for West Virginia. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. (accepted with revisions, July 2013)
- The National Physical Activity Plan: Implementing Physical Activity Strategies. Human Kinetics, III. (Chapter: State-based Efforts for Physical Activity Planning: Experience from Texas and West Virginia. Elliott, E., Jones, E., Nichols, D., Murray, T., Kohl, H.)(in press)
- Elliott, E., Bulger, S., Jones, E., & Neal, W. (2012). The Development of a statewide physical activity plan in the US. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 15 (Suppl), 291.
West Virginia State Fair - 2013
The WVPAP spent August 8-August 18 at the WV State Fair in an effort to promote the Plan & the benefits of increase physical activity to fair attendees. The WVPAP was housed in the WV Building. Attendees that stopped by the WVPAP exhibit received a fan, informational brochure on the Plan & its goals, and stickers. If attendees chose to participate in a short 5 question survey, they also received a nylon fold-able Frisbee that fits into a pocket sized pouch. The survey questions help the WVPAP better understand the needs of WV constituents related to physical activity opportunities and what is needed so that WV constituents can become more physically active. We are very thankful to Randi Nikolas and the WV State Fair for giving the WVPAP the opportunity to exhibit at the fair.
Also exhibiting with the WVPAP were two of WVPAP's partners, McDowell CHOICES for two days and The CARDIAC project for 5 days. McDowell CHOICES provided information on their project, - Coordinated Health Opportunities Involving Communities, Environments and Schools --which is designed to develop, implement and evaluate an integrated approach to improving physical activity in multiple settings, including schools, families and the community. They also gave away foldable Frisbees and collected email addresses from fair attendees that wish to receive monthly newsletters regarding physical activity and the progress updates on McDowell CHOICES. The CARDIAC project, The Coronary Artery Risk Detection In Appalachian Communities (CARDIAC) Project, has two components, a school-based surveillance and intervention initiative, and a targeted individualized approach toward identification and referral for treatment those individuals with the most severe genetic cause of death from premature CVD: familial hypercholesterolemia (FH). CARDIAC is the first statewide CVD intervention program of its kind in the nation. Since its inception CARDIAC has grown from a small school-based CVD surveillance project piloted in three rural WV counties to an expanded multidimensional effort involving all of the state's 55 counties. CARDIAC gave away temporary tattoos, stickers, book bag tags, pedometers, and booklets on nutrition.
It was a great time for all, and a wonderful way for WVPAP, McDowell CHOICES, and CARDIAC to each spread the word about the great things they are doing.
- Press from the WV Physical Activity Plan Launch
January 19, 2012
- WVU Professor to attend national meeting on childhood obesity
November 15, 2011
- State group promotes healthy West Virginia
November 10, 2011
- New statewide plan encourages physical activity, healthy lifestyle
November 8, 2011
- WV PA Plan - Released for public comment
November 8, 2011
- WV Physical Activity Plan Webinar - 2 Scheduled
August 25, 2011
- WV Physical Activity Plan Webinar - 1 Scheduled
June 1, 2011
- Eloise Elliott | Metro News Talkline from the Capitol Rotunda - January 19, 2012
- Parks and Recration Weekly News Brief
- PE Central Newsletter